bug in chapter 8: code input in montian house not possible

Previous topic - Next topic

stef

Hi,
I 'm playing "Al Emmo - Das Wild West Adventure" from 2012.
It's the german version. Either I'm experiencing a really nasty bug or I'm missing some hint what to do.
I'm in chapter 8 and stand before the mountain house. I have the diary and the code sheet from the diary. I already talked to the boy in the post office and got his hint about the caesar encryption. In my game the code should be "access".
But the code dial on the mountain house doesn't have any letter "A"!!
-> a) Is there a step I need to do before I'm allowed to use the code dial?
    b) If there isn't, how should I use the code dial? (I just tried to click on the letters off the dial. But it tells me for each available letter that the code dial has been reset and that it didn't take the input)
    c) If there is some bug with the translation, could you provide me a save game for my programm after opening the door? Or an update of the programme?
Regards,
Stefan

GameDevChris

The solution to this puzzle doesn't involve entering the code exactly, but rather displacing the letters backwards by 4 positions, I believe. And the alphabet loops back to the beginning when it reaches the end.  So "A" should be entered on the dial as "W".

I'm not sure how the postal clerk's explanation was phrased in the German version of the game, but perhaps something got lost in translation. Anyhow, give that suggestion a try!

stef

Hi GameDevChris,
I'm not sure if I understand right:
On the page from the diary there was "eggiww".
I shifted that back 4 letters and came to "access"
-> Should I now try to input "access" into the dial or do I have to shift "access" again four letters and input then that?
Regards
Stefan

stef

Shifting back "access" by four letters brings "WWYAOO".
-> That doesn't help.  I don't have an "A" on the dial. I can't input that.
Do you have another suggestion?

GameDevChris

Can you post a screenshot of the door dial close-up?

stef

Attached is the screenshot of the code dial.
It doesn't hold the letters for my code word "access".
I would be able to put in the code word from Uwes walkthrough ("Zutritt"), but when I try that the narrator just says that the code dial has been reset and my input rejected.

Hmm - just in case, is there a way to turn the dial or something to change the letters? Because I just tried to use the visible letters...

If it's not that but a real bug, can you somehow help me?  I attach my savegame. Maybe you can somehow advance me or send me another savegame?

GameDevChris

For some reason, that savegame's not working for me. It says "INVALID SLOT" when it appears in the save/restore menu.

You mentioned earlier that the code on the paper that fell from the diary was "eggiww", but that should only be the case in the English version of the game. In the German version, you should get one of the following codes:

dyxvmxx
opstjopstj

If you can get any of these ones:

aipgsqi
eggiww
orsgosrassh

Then it's a bug that probably slipped through the German testing of the game (and which I'm surprised has never been encountered or reported before this).

But if it's indeed a bug, the only way to bypass it would be to restore a slightly earlier savegame, before you picked up the diary. Play up until that point, and save just before you take the diary. And keep replaying that part until you get one of the first two codes listed above, which are guaranteed to work. But if you get any other code, restore the game and keep taking the diary until you get a valid one.

stef

Hey, that actually helped me!
I got orsgosrassh with the next replay but after that I got opstjopstj.
-> So there really is the bug, but you can get around by replaying the game a few times.
    I think you need to go back before you have the diary in your hands
    I'm past the code panel.
Thanks!

It's still a good adventure game. When will there be a sequel?