Quest for Glory V review

Previous topic - Next topic

GameDevBrit

Sorry for getting off topic, but there is a review that was made over at Four Fat Chicks for Quest for Glory V.  I know a lot of us loved the Quest for Glory series, and it was an interesting read:

http://fourfatchicks.com/Reviews/QFG_V/ ... Fire.shtml

Enjoy!

JustLuke

I have fond memories of playing the Quest for Glory games but QfG V was a sad end to the series. The combat system was awful, the real-time 3d character models were ugly and the interface clunky, the balance between action, rpg and adventure elements wrecked, and the story and plot ultimately weakened by being too self-referential.

I felt that the QfG series began to noticably decline in quality with QfG 4 which, although still a strong and fulfilling entry in the series, felt somewhat stale despite the atmospheric setting.

GameDevBrit

I miss Quest for Glory :(  I never made it through the fifth game.  I kept moving at the time, and everytime I would get to my new location, I'd realize I'd left QFG5 behind, and I'd have to buy a new copy.  After three or four times of this happening, and finally only having my hands on a German version, I gave up.  I'd like to go back and play that sometime though.

I always loved four though--minus the bugs.  I was never able to finish that game either, due to the a serious bug and the lack of the internet to download a patch.  In fact, I should probably play through that game again someday...I loved the atmosphere!

JustLuke

Despite the EGA graphics, you just can't beat QfG 2 for atmosphere. I've always been a big fan of the Arabian Nights and anything based upon those stories will appeal to me.

Still, all things considered, my over all favourite QfG in terms of character, plot, dialogue, puzzles and polish is QfG 3. An unpopular choice, I know, but I loved the mix of Egyptian and African cultures.

GameDevBrit

Well, lucky for you, AGDI will be releasing QFG2 in the future :hehe:

JustLuke

Wow, the old cliche was right - great minds really do think alike. (give me a job)

I very rarely meet people online who appreciate QfG3 and asking random strangers in the street about it only gets me funny looks and police attention. I tried whispering about the "Wages of War" whilst wearing a comedy turban to ease the tense situation (being, as I said, a fan of the Arabian Nights) but it made people either run away screaming in terror or try to shoot at me. People are strange and strangers are the strangest.

GameDevBrit

Haha, yea, I've noticed that QFG3 is often not a popular choice amongst Sierra fans and strangers alike!  I even remember, at one point when playing the game, I really wanted to like it, and I didn't.  That was the first day I played it, and it took me about a day of playing and not liking it, before I finally "got it".  I think I was so used to exploring an expansive QFG world, screen for screen, that I didn't like having a huge map, and not having as many unique filler screens to explore.  Once I got over that hurdle though, I was hooked :)

JustLuke

The world map in Qfg3 is may favourite method of wilderness travel in the QfG games. I know it was brought back in QfG5 but somehow it just wasn't half as effective or immersive.

I think that QfG4's return to screen-by-screen travel was one of the reasons that I was a little disappointed with the game. In fact it reminded me very strongly of the first game in the series which is my second least favourite installment after QfG5.

haradan

Mmh, sorry to interrupt your... mmh, conversation? ;)

JustLuke

Obviously I can't speak for Brit (well I can try: Imagine I'm wearing a sock puppet on my right hand and saying "Hi! I'm GameDevBrit!" in an unconvincing squeaky voice) but in my opinion, although I kind of agree with you, I think that thematically speaking a Thieves Guild would have felt out of place in Tarna; the place seemed too ordered, civilised and well policed/guarded by the Liontaurs for the establishment of an organised crime syndicate. I do wish that the player had gained access to the Liontaur section of the city at some point in the game though, although, having said that, I also think that showing too much can lesson a game setting's intrigue and atmosphere.

As far as Harami goes, haven't you ever heard the saying "There's no honour amongst thieves"?

johnb4467

It seems that the greatest part about the QFG series is that the "favorite" is very much a debate...and often depends on what you like to do. I loved having to truly "talk" to characters via the text parsing system in II, yet a lot of people can't stand that sort of time-consuming interaction.
Taken as a whole, though, I think I'm with Lori Cole -- Quest for Glory IV is my favorite. The story really was well thought out, and the character development is excellent. I mean, I always even look forward to listening in on those goon-guard's idle chit-chat conversations!

And shame on Brit...she priding herself on being a "finisher"...and yet not even finishing her started QFG games! :)

oh, by the way...hello everyone; I just registered a few minutes ago. :)

haradan

Mmh, I think this thread belongs more to the AGDI forums than here, but hey, Brit started it!

johnb4467 wrote:
QuoteIt seems that the greatest part about the QFG series is that the "favorite" is very much a debate...and often depends on what you like to do.

Welcome to the forums. I got the QFG games in the exact order that they were published, so I have always played the games from 1 to the most recent, importing my character into the next game the minute after I finished the previous one. I never say "Oh, I'm going to play Trial by fire, or Shadows of darkness" when I decide to play QFG, I play the whole 5 games. This has make me appreciate each game as a chapter of a bigger story and not as individual efforts. Also, the tech progress made in each game makes it unfair to compare them with previous ones. I really believe each game was great for its time. For example, in Hero's Quest,  the combination of RPG and adventure, which now we take for granted, was unique at that time and it made it an incredible game.

So I think I don't have a favorite, I have fond memories of different moments of my long adventure.

JustLuke wrote:
Quotethematically speaking a Thieves Guild would have felt out of place in Tarna

Agreed.

QuoteAs far as Harami goes, haven't you ever heard the saying "There's no honour amongst thieves"?

Mmh, then why helping him later in the game? C'mon. :laugh:

JustLuke

QuoteMmh, then why helping him later in the game?
Because it demonstrates positive character development.  :P

Sartori

Haha, this speaking of Quest for Glory breaks that last barrier to registering here on the forums. I can't resist sitting down and speaking about Quest for Glory series with other people.

Let's see - I think I'm going to concur with the man desiring a little more thief love in III. I think this is a fairly common complaint, but it does serve a purpose. While Tarna may not have been the most obvious place for a thief den to exist, thieves are prevailing - they don't just go away. I believe this problem could have been solved by a small thief presence and a little access to more parts of the town (since there's not a whole lot to be stealing about throughout the countryside).

My primary complaint with III, though, is the combat system. I don't know what the deal is with that - in fact, I really still don't understand it. As far as I understand it, you just kind of slash a bunch and hope you win. It always felt so "loose". Maybe I just never quite figured it out. Shrug.

Though that's my complaint with my favorite title in the series, too - IV. I also dislike the combat system in that title, though not as much. I feel it's a little tighter, but it still can't touch the favored systems in II and IVGA. That aside, I feel as though IV has the most wonderful environment and design. I LOVE the Mordavian countryside and the "feel" of the area. It's great, great, great!

I do like II and IVGA as well, both favorites. I feel as though the first title in the series has a "homely" feel to it - one that if it had a few more things to do that I could simply run around it forever, killing Cheetars (sp) and turning in their claws for cash. I did this a lot as a child, just mindless playing on my final character.

This kind of brings me to II - I'm so eagerly anticipating II's revival in VGA. I feel like Tierra is going to do such a wonderful job - I've seen the past work. I'm so impressed and now it's coming to one of the best adventure games on the planet!

I'm even further excited about Al Emmo. Mostly, I have high hopes from Himalaya. Now if only time would pass and I could be to play them. :-)

Blah blah, babbling done..
//Sartori