Music question for Tom and Diane

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguy

Hi Music Makers!

I know that you two have been the soundtrack composers for Tierra, AGDI, and now Himilaya.  The music has always been awesome.  Would you mind elaborating on what exactly is the process in creating the music in these games?  For example, could you also describe what kind of equipment you use, as well as the general steps that you take in developing a musical piece from beginning to end?

Merci!

Tom Lewandowski

Thanks, ryeguy!

We probably don't differ from any other composer or artist when it comes to creating.  We'll typically have an idea, then play around with that idea on a keyboard or guitar until it eventually developes into a song.  We then transfer those ideas to MIDI, and work from there.  Our game songs usually are a gradual buildup around a central theme or melody.  One of us will come up with a melody, and the other will help work it into a full song.  

For the Al Emmo soundtrack, we used Roland SC-8850, SC-8820, and MT-32 sound modules, along with a Yamaha SW60XG sound card.  There's also some 'live' Yamaha acoustic guitars, and Roland digital pianos being used.  And our MIDI keyboard controllers are a Yamaha CBX-K2 and Roland HP3000s keyboard.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, most of our musical ideas with Al Emmo's soundtrack were based on descriptions provided by Chris, and by reading the game's screenplay.  This differs from the KQ2VGA soundtrack, which was primarily composed after seeing completed scenes.

Dianne Lewandowski

Thank you for your very kind, generous comments.  Tom explained the process very well.  We work somewhat differently, but compliment one another very well.  Probably why we got married!  Tom's a marvel on drum tracks and guitar.  I'd rather play Bach.  So together we just sorta blend our individual musical mindsets.

ryeguy

Very interesting, very cool.

So after recording, what music program do you guys use to mix the instruments together?

Tom Lewandowski

We record and mix with Voyetra's Sequencer Plus Gold MIDI sequencer, an old DOS-based software sequencer.  We do all of our recording, mixing, balances, editing through this software.  Then, when we feel everything is right, we use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 to create digital files.