Installation Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

johnethc

I just got the game today and when I tried to install it it froze at 7%... (Al Emmo Website.htm).... I tried everything and the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Erpy

It doesn't freeze. The game's installer measures progress by the absolute number of files (rather than size) it has copied. At 7%, the biggest file of all, the sprite file is being extracted and copied. After that file's copied, you'll see the progress meter rush forward again. I have a very slow system and it takes my computer like half an hour to get past that 7% spot. Just have patience...installation takes a little while but it shouldn't hang.

Angelus3K

I've just tried to install my copy, I click Install and it says Loading Please Wait.. and the CD just spins for ages and nothing happens.

I havnt got time to sit and wait at the moment so it'll probably work after a few minutes but what is the install doing? Extracting the whole setup file to a temp directory or something? It shouldnt take this long.

Ah the installer has just popped up now lol, but what takes so long?

aspid

Maybe antivirus activity? Scanning all those files...

Erpy

The installation has always been slow for me. I think a really heavy compression was put on the files in order to fit everything on a single CD, which means extracting it is slower. Hopefully, it's a consolation that after installing, you won't need the CD again.

johnethc

The installation program IMMEDIATELY freezes at 7%, as in "Not Responding" which requires ctrl-alt-delete because you can't cancel out of it.... Any possible ideas or alternatives?

Thanks!

John

GameDevChris

You just need to wait for the installer to do it's thing. It will appear to have frozen, but it hasn't.

When it reaches 7%, it's still busy unpacking the sprite file and this can take a while. It's normal for the 'cancel' button to not respond at this time. Using Ctrl-alt-delete to exit the installer will most likely leave partially installed files on your system, so it's best to just wait for the installer to finish normally.  Patience, young grasshopper, patience.  :D

The reason for the delay after clicking "Install Game" from the launcher is due to the Software used to design the launcher menus. I'm not really sure why it does this, but that's why I put the "Loading... please wait" message in there.

In the unlikely event that your installer actually has frozen on the CD, try copying the Setup.exe file directly from the CD to your PC and install the game by running the Setup.exe directly from your hard drive. It should install faster that way. (Just remember to delete the Setup.exe file again from your hard drive after the game successfully installs).

Angelus3K

Yea its a little slow but never freezes or crashes, it will eventually install fine.

johnethc

Thanks to everyone for their help! It succesfully installed.  :D

reboog

I had the same problem.  I waited it out.  It eventually jumped from 7% to "really high" and finished quickly.  most of the install time was spent waiting for that 7% marker to pass.

It took so long, I also thought it was crashed.

Quote from: "johnethc"I just got the game today and when I tried to install it it froze at 7%... (Al Emmo Website.htm).... I tried everything and the same thing happens. Any ideas?