Al Emmo (Telltale version) under Vista

Previous topic - Next topic

jordi

Hi,

I bought Al Emmo through Telltale Games, but they told me to come here  ;)

Al Emmo doesn't work at all for me under Vista. I launch it from the Telltale launcher, the screen goes black, and I'm back at my desktop without any error.

Now other AGS games from the AGS website I was able to get working by forcing the resolution to 640x400 as it seems Vista just doesn't support 320x200 -- I can't do this with Al Emmo as the winsetup.exe doesn't work (in the Telltale version at least). And AL Emmo is supposed to run in 640x400 anyway I think...

Tinkering with the ini file doesn't seem to help either. Maybe it's the AGS version Al Emmo uses?

Hope this helps in any way!

For the record, I still have an XP machine and I'm playing on there  for now.

GameDevChris

Firstly, try installing the latest version of DirectX and the latest version of your sound and video card drivers.

QuoteAl Emmo doesn't work at all for me under Vista. I launch it from the Telltale launcher, the screen goes black, and I'm back at my desktop without any error.

Telltale renamed the main .exe file incorrectly, so when the setup program tries to access it, it'll say that it doesn't exist. If you rename Al Emmo.exe to Al_Emmo.exe (with the underscore included) then it should allow you to run the winsetup.exe program and change settings.

However, the game already runs at 640x400 by default, so I don't know if resolution would be the problem. You could try changing the graphics filter to the 2x one and try that, or run the game in 640x480 letterboxed mode to see if that makes any difference.

The problem may also be due to certain systems not being able to play MPEG-1 video files. The game sounds like it's bombing out at the Himalaya Studios intro movie.  You might find this link useful if you have the FFDShow drivers installed on your system (in the last post, someone described how to fix problems with KQ2VGA):

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11407

You might also take a look at this Vista related thread about Al Emmo:

http://www.himalayaforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=518

jordi

Thank you!

The FFDshow thing did the trick. I must have picked it up somehow...

I had to add App.exe (Al Emmo's main executable in the Telltale version) the exclusion list, and now it launches :-)

GameDevChris

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't expecting ffdshow to be the reason, actually! Oh well, it's good to know that the bug wasn't actually Vista-related.  :)