Al Emmo protection error

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerXY

Can't get the trial version of this game to work. When I start it, all I get is white pointer for a few seconds, then a black screen and soon I get "Protection Error" and the game crashes.
Anyone else experienced this?
Brimhall of Fame

GameDevChris

Which operating system are you trying to run the demo game on?  And you you have the latest version of DirectX installed, as well as the latest version of your video card and sound card drivers?

Finally, is there any way you can copy and paste the exact error message you're receiving here?  If the game displays a pop-up dialogue box, it should be possible to press CTRL-C to copy the text to the clipboard and CTRL-C to paste the message here in the forums.

RogerXY

Windows XP and I have all latest stuff installed.

(I get the welcome screen as normal, it's when I click "Play the free trial" and the game starts I get this error)

The "Protection Error" is seen in the taskbar when I try to alt+tab, but it can't be shown as a pop-up dialogue box or something. The only thing I can do at this point is to ctrl+alt+del because the program shows as "Not responding". When I have closed it I get back to the welcome screen with the text "Learn more about this game" instead of "Play free trial". I guess that's a screen that always appear when you stop playing the demo.

Brimhall of Fame

GameDevChris

Which version of the demo did you download.  For example, did you download it from the Telltale Games website, from our own own website, or from another site?

RogerXY

Quote from: "GameDevChris"Which version of the demo did you download.  For example, did you download it from the Telltale Games website, from our own own website, or from another site?

I did download it from Telltale
Brimhall of Fame

GameDevChris

Have you inquired about this bug on the TellTale forums at tall?  I am not sure of the exact copy protection method they have used on the game, but it seems like this is most likely what's causing the protection error on your system. We haven't had any reports of this occurring before. TellTale may know of some way to bypass it and get the demo working as intended.

Failing that, I'd suggest trying to download the demo version from our own website, which does not have any kind of protection placed on it, meaning that it shouldn't give you any error message at all.  The difference is that the version available on our own site also allows you to play to the end of Act1 with no time restriction.

RogerXY

Quote from: "GameDevChris"Have you inquired about this bug on the TellTale forums at tall?  I am not sure of the exact copy protection method they have used on the game, but it seems like this is most likely what's causing the protection error on your system. We haven't had any reports of this occurring before. TellTale may know of some way to bypass it and get the demo working as intended.

Failing that, I'd suggest trying to download the demo version from our own website, which does not have any kind of protection placed on it, meaning that it shouldn't give you any error message at all.  The difference is that the version available on our own site also allows you to play to the end of Act1 with no time restriction.

Yes I did post there as well and it seems like they couldn't answear it and told me to try here instead :)
Anyway, I will try to download from your page instead. It seems like himalayastudios.com is out of order(?) or where do you mean I should download it?
Brimhall of Fame

GameDevChris

RogerXY

Quote from: "GameDevChris"You can download it from an alternative site here:

http://games.internode.on.net/filelist. ... tails=2662

Worked like a charm :)
Brimhall of Fame

GameDevChris

Great, glad to hear it! :)