New Himalaya Game

Previous topic - Next topic

JonWW

QuoteWe have decided on a new Himalaya game, and a "screenplay" has already been written for it. But the current hurdle is funding the project. Once we have tied up all the loose ends here at AGDI, we'll be able to focus properly on that.
Question:
What type of game was chosen for Himalaya's next game?
QuoteSadly, Al Emmo didn't make us back enough money to fund another project like we had hoped it would. And self-funding a project seems like the only way you can make a game exactly the way you want. So if any generous billionaire adventure game fans are reading, we gladly welcome your donation right now.  :D
So how do we go about donating for Himalaya's next project?

wickedthistle

Hm, there could be a lot of ways this could be done. I'd like to suggest three ways, though I'm not sure the founders would be fond of them ;)

Another way could be to sell character extras in the game. If someone were to donate "X" amount of money (possibly some of it could go to charity?) then they could have their name/likeness as an extra character in the game.

Possibly, perhaps they could donate money and spend a day with one of the Himalaya founders if they are in proximity? I liken this to one of those fund-raising dinner parties that political candidates often have.
~Michelle

JonWW

Quote from: "Eriq Chang"There IS a way to support the continuing development of classic adventure gaming AND original games on the horizon.  It's true.  Himalaya Studios has begun conceptualizing ideas for a new game.  Rest assured, it will be a graphic adventure.  What the genre or story is about is still a mystery.  In addition, the studio's critically accically acclaimed first adventure, Al Elmmo & the Lost Dutchman's Mine, is now availabe for an extremely reduced price.  Support the development team and buy yourself a copy.
I'm told that when you purchase the Collector's Edition of 'Al Emmo' beginning August 5th, you will receive the 23"x31" full size Quest for Glory II poster for free.  This is your chance to own the official Quest for Glory II poster that, unfortunately, will not be made for sale to the public.
my photos!
That's some good news  :D   I also like wickedthistle's idea about putting down money early to reserve the new game and receiving some extras for "free".  They have deals like that all the time at stores like Best Buy.  Would be cool to be an "extra" in the new game too, not sure if any games have done something like that for fans in the past...

JonWW

QuoteI'd personally love to do an Al Emmo sequel at some point;  it's the kind of wacky game that we could just go to town with and have a lot of fun with during the writing and design stages.

(Some spoilers in this paragraph) We did actually start writing a design document for a sequel to the first game, and we even have an entire plot outline written up. [spoiler]The sequel was to take place in a 1930's Mafia/gangster-like setting and the story would delve deeper into the affairs of the extended Peralto family in New York after they learn of Rita Peralto's new-found wealth.[/spoiler]

Unfortunately, our financial situation won't allow us to make an Al Emmo sequel right now, as the style of game is risky from a marketing standpoint. So, for the next Himalaya game, we'll be sticking with the type of adventure game that we know the majority of the adventure gaming fanbase will support. Never say never though...
I have to admit I believe I'm part of the majority.  I've always loved Sierra's Quest for Glory series and would love to see a Himalaya Studios original series using the experience gained from remaking Quest for Glory II.  I love how your team takes in considerations from the forum posts and I feel like we can make a RPG/Adventure to be remembered.  :D  I personally believe that you should release an Al Emmo sequel, but I think that it would be wiser to ride on the popularity of your Quest for Glory II remake.

Angelus3K

Can we have some details on the recently announced Hima game?? Plot, Style - Anything? lol!

Eddie

Well, I always try to buy games directly from the developers, so I ordered a second copy of Al Emmo - I gave the first as a gift. Hope this'll help a little bit. (still, I believe you need to market your games more aggressively, and not just amongst the adventure games fans of yore...)

coroloro

I am SO revved up about the idea of an upcoming QFG-style game from Himalaya.  Especially with your experience from QfG2, I am sure that whatever game idea you pursue, you will make it really appeal to the aspects that games like QfG really hit most.  After all, each QfG game was basically a new game in and of itself, with the primary link being some reoccuring characters and plots that came back more and more- the first two were virtually stand-alones, and the third was also relatively unique.  The fourth game really was the start of the most dependance upon previous plots, and the fifth- of course- stood upon the shoulders of the previous ones altogether.  I think that taking the strengths of all these games and then using the lessons they teach to build a completely unique, original one would not be hard.  One need not seek to recreate QfG- but to exceed it with an original game!

I know I for one like the idea of having multiple classes that you have mentioned already wanting to do- I love being able to play through a game that gives me multiple directions to take.  I ALSO really like being able to effect its direction and outcome.  While games like QfG, upon winning, had limitations- you could still get a slightly different end result depending on your class.  I also REALLY liked the Paladin class, as it was an offshoot of the fighter class, with elements of magic to it, and- most importantly- was a chance to go above and beyond the call of duty in doing good.  A hero does the right thing, yes, but a PALADIN sacrifices even beyond that, taking heroism to a new level.  The fact this 1) allowed you to help characters to a further extent, 2) see more areas of the game and get access to the highest amount of content in the game, and 3) achieve the most satisfying, resolved results and ending, really made it worth the extra effort.

I was a part of the beta team for Al Emmo, but lost a lot of enthusiasm when I saw the direction it went- I certainly hope you reconsider some of your past beta team folks when looking for support on this project.  I am TOTALLY there with you!!

Sincerely,
Patrick

GameDevBrit

Hey guys!  Welcome back--it's great to see activity at the forums again.  We're looking forward to having you around during the development process and keeping you updated on what's going on, and hearing your feedback!

Angelus, as for the game currently in development, we will definitely be revealing more over the coming months, but still want to keep some details under wraps.  I can tell you though, that this game will appeal to a wider range of fans, as we took into account what the majority of our fans have been asking for, and have catered our game to these tastes.  This game will be more similar to the "Quest for Glory" or "King's Quest" series, being a fantasy style game taking place in a psuedo-medieval setting.  You can play four different classes of characters, too.  We're aiming for higher resolution and detailed 2D animations this time.  The backgrounds are going to be a real treat, too.

Daniel Stacey is the designer of this game, and has gone to great lengths to make a monomyth, or a story following "the Hero's journey", to make the game all the more engaging for the player.  You can learn more about this forumla at the following Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

And Eddie, thank you so much for your support!  We really appreciate it, and yes, every bit helps.  We do hope to continually improve our marketing strategy, so if anyone has any ideas, we're always open to listening to them.

And Patrick, it's good to see you around here again.  We're excited about this game as well.  Like you mentioned, we did gain a lot of experience working on Quest for Glory II--it was our most advanced project to date--and hope to use what we learned from that project to aid us in the development of this game...and with each new project, we continually improve as well!  So this game should definitely please a lot of fans, providing them the gaming experience they've been hoping for for quite some time now.

We can't wait to share more updates in the coming months!!

Jonas

Hello everyone,
Quote from: "GameDevBrit" We're looking forward to having you around during the development process and keeping you updated on what's going on, and hearing your feedback!
Are there any news regarding your new game? It has been quite a while since I finished Al Emmo (I believe I even sent you a picture of me, holding the DVD box as a proud winner of the contest) and I'd be glad to hear that you're making some progress.

Greetings from Germany,
Jonas

GameDevChris

We haven't released any information publicly yet, but we're planning to do so soon. Stay tuned, and feel free to sign up to the Himalaya Newsletter on the main site if you'd like to know when we make the announcement.

MusicallyInspired

Pixelcrazee

Hi.

Okay...kinda confused here, is there still an adventure game in production or
on the horizon somewhere or has that turned into the hidden object game?
and no more adventures game?

Thanks

GameDevChris

There's still an adventure/RPG in development, yes, but we hit some development hurdles along the way. The new adventure game is still moving ahead, but a little slower than originally expected. (The HOG was more or less just a side project to help bring in some money to assist with funding the adventure game).

Anyway, hopefully we can announce that project soon. :)

Pixelcrazee

I see...okay, thanks
Good luck with the sales of HOG...not my type of thing but
I have passed on info to a few friends and hopefully they will buy :)

Martijn

Is there any more information available about the new project? Will it be an Al Emmo sequel or a game more in line with the King's Quest series? Or will it be a totally different concept?
And how long will production time take? A year?

GameDevChris

The new game isn't going to be an Al Emmo sequel. it will be more similar in both style and gameplay to the King's Quest and Quest for Glory series. It'll be a Role Playing Game/Adventure Game hybrid with 4 character classes.  

We haven't been able to announce the title or any more information yet, but we're preparing to do it as soon as possible.  As for the release time/date, well, that's the million dollar question!  At this stage, we're still not sure when it will be released, but we'll play it by ear and provide updates as we get closer to finishing the project.

In the meantime, here's a link to the First Himalaya Studios newsletter announcing the game (which shows a small, early thumbnail screenshot).

And some additional information that was posted in this thread in the AGDI forums.

Zazzaro

Def cannot wait until this new title comes out. Al Emmo wasn't really my type of atmosphere but i got a copy for my sister and she enjoyed it. Dont take offense to that i haven't played any of the Gabriel Knight games either for that very reason. My loss. When i play an adventure game i just like those fantasy type atmosphere's like Kings Quest, Quest for Glory and even a Tale of Two Kingdoms. So it's nothing personal against Al Emmo and def not your studio as I love all your remakes so i know the quality will be there with this new title and was most likely there with Al Emmo too. I plan to use it as Quest for Glory 5 just in a new place with a new hero. I loved QfGIV so it's always made me sad that i just don't like the 5th one really at all. Have tried to play it thru twice now at the end of my 1-4 playthrus and always fall short of finishing it because it just for me falls so flat after #4. Anyways, Here is a fan that is looking forward to the new game and when i get my next paycheck Ill purchase the Al Emmo related game you just released so i can help support the Adventure/RPG game in production :-)