can't download demo

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatta

I'm awfully interested in this game, but I can't download the demo.  When I try to torrent it, my client says "Tracker Status: Alert: Not Found (HTTP code=404, times in a row=4)"

When I try the ftp site, this is what I get:
QuoteIndex of ftp://ftp.adventuregamers.com/pub/al_em ... Setup.exe/

Up to higher level directory
Name    Size    

What is going on here?

While I'm at it, can you tell me if I can expect this game to work in wine? If so, I don't need the demo.

Also, you should really consider providing a non-flash alternative to the  Al Emmo page.  I really, really hate that shit, ordinarily I'd have closed it and gone somewhere else.  But I really want this game, so I broke down and installed flash.  I'm sure you guys are losing sales because of this anyway, because I walk away from purchases all the time if flash is required.

GameDevChris

There's a non-flash version of the Al Emmo site which is accessible here:

http://www.himalayastudios.com/wq.htm

As for the demo, here's a direct download link (60 minute trial):

Al Emmo Demo

I'm not sure how well the game runs under Wine, to be honest. We haven't tested it ourselves, but I believe others have tried it and mentioned that it works. This is not 'officially' supported, though, so I'd recommend trying the demo under Wine first to make sure that it'll play properly on your system.

Echoplex

Thank you! I was having problems downloading the demo as well.  :D

Tsarkon

I couldn't download the game from any of the links provided on the site either.  The FTP server kept dumping my connections and I couldn't find any online peers seeding the torrent.

The link you provided here seems to be working fine, though.  Maybe update your download buttons to that location or somewhere else that is working?  Your average visitor might be giving up without searching the forums and that's a shame, as this game looks very promising.  :)

/Tsarkon

GameDevChris

Tsarkon, which site are you referring to?

Last week, we updated all of the links on both www.HimalayaStudios.com and www.AlEmmo.com to point to the latest demo. So there shouldn't be any problems downloading the demo now.

If you've found a link that still directs to the old torrent download at AdventureGamers site, could you point me to it so that I can get it fixed?

The latest demo (which is a 60 minute trial) can be downloaded here:

Tsarkon

Quote from: "GameDevChris"Tsarkon, which site are you referring to?

Last week, we updated all of the links on both www.HimalayaStudios.com and www.AlEmmo.com to point to the latest demo. So there shouldn't be any problems downloading the demo now.

If you've found a link that still directs to the old torrent download at AdventureGamers site, could you point me to it so that I can get it fixed?

The latest demo (which is a 60 minute trial) can be downloaded here:

Well, the precise page that I has the links is technically not on your server, but I got there from a link from alemmo.com.  I think maybe you have two download pages linked in your site.  So, here is what I am doing that brings me to the old download pages.

1: Go to www.alemmo.com

2: Click the link on the right under the box art that says "Download the demo now!"

3: Halfway down the page on the right side if I click on "Click here to download now" Internet Explorer (ver. 7.0.5730.13) opens up a new window briefly that seems to link to one of himalaya's websites but quickly disappears.  (No matter how many times I click on it, it fails to stay open).

4: At the top of the page, click on "Downlaods" and it will seem to bring you to the same page you were already on.

5: Click on the "Click here to download now" button halfway down the page on the right side and it will bring you to this url:  http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,647/

That is the URL that has a link to an FTP server that doesn't seem to work and the bittorrent...

I hope this helps.  If you want to change the source code for your download link to himalaya, I can test to see if it works for me or not.  Who knows how many people it is behaving the same way for...  :/

GameDevChris

Ah, yes, you're right. Thanks! I'll pass this onto Eriq, who maintains the site.

I have also contacted Jack at Adventuregamers to ask him about changing the demo download link on their site.

GameDevChris

Just an update that both issues regarding the demo link on the "downloads" page should be fixed now.

Tsarkon

I just tested it out, too.  It all works fine now.   Hopefully it will facilitate some more downloads for you guys.  :D