So give us some updates!

Previous topic - Next topic

KidReggin

How's development on this game? What's this game going to be like? How big is your staff? Give us something!

GameDevChris

There's some information and screenshots from Mage's Initiation posted up at Adventure Gamers:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2219

http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=1895

Development is moving along, and we've just added a new animator to the team to speed up progress. The game will be similar to the classic King's Quest and Quest for Glory games, and we have about 10 people currently working on the title.

KidReggin

Looks amazing. Is this going to have stats and skills like an RPG? Is the battle system going to be anything like what we saw in QFG2?

How open-ended is it? Can you just meander around at your leisure or does the game keep you in one place at a time, doing one thing at a time?

Are the incessant questions getting annoying? I'm really psyched about this game. Maybe I should get a life.  :P

GameDevChris

QuoteIs this going to have stats and skills like an RPG? Is the battle system going to be anything like what we saw in QFG2?

There will be fewer stats than the Quest for Glory games, and the gameplay formula won't rely so much on grinding. Combat will be a little different than the Quest for Glory 2 remake. It will be closer in style to Quest for Glory 4's side-on battle scenes. Outwitting your foe doesn't rely on brute strength, but on mastery of magic spells and combos interweaved with combat maneuvers (throws, blocks, evasive steps etc.)

QuoteHow open-ended is it? Can you just meander around at your leisure or does the game keep you in one place at a time, doing one thing at a time?

There will be multiple endings which affect the endgame in fairly drastic ways. The game world will gradually open up to reveal new places as you explore more, but the initial area that you get to (the land of Iginor) is quite wide. Other areas will open up only for the duration of a specific quest, and won't be accessible again after that.

QuoteAre the incessant questions getting annoying? I'm really psyched about this game. Maybe I should get a life.

Nope, it's all part of the gig. :D Glad to hear you're anticipating it, by the way. A lot of things are going to be tweaked and refined as we make further progress, however, so anything I mention could still be subject to change at some point.

KidReggin

Very cool. Artwork is nothing short of impressive too. What you guys are doing is pretty inspiring. I'm a programmer/cartoonist myself and I make small games for fun using XNA and I'm able to make them look good as long as they have a cartoonish style to them. I wish I had the time and resources to make something on a such a big scale as what you guys are doing. I've always been a huge fan of QFG and I'm glad to see someone is taking that old game style and applying it to a more modern medium without straying from the old feel. Also it sounds like this game is pretty unique in a lot of ways too. It's all giving me a very huge nerd boner.

Best of luck and why is this forum so empty? Weird.