Mage's initiation

Previous topic - Next topic

Renodox

Well, I didn't find anything major wrong with the demo but I noticed that you do have a mixture of British-style English and American-style English.  What I am referring to is that you mention roses that change "colour" but in the training room there is also "armor."  It would be a good idea to decide which you will use because it gets confusing with the two of them mixed.  Personally, I think the British-style seems more authentic for the kind of game that you are making.

Also, in the combat section, I found several of the enemies and my own character could run off the left side of the screen.  This made it impossible to fight many of these enemies and it got confusing during the fight.  Also, when trying to take down the archer, I kept missing.  Is there some sort of aiming skill that will be added?

WriteOh

The spelling is my fault, I'm afraid. I'm Australian, and we use the British spelling. However, for Himalaya projects I'm required to use the American spelling. So occasionally I revert to my native ways. :)
"Think of me as an omniscient, noncorporeal manifestation of total wisdom."

Saxonisc

Surely there would be no confusion with spelling. Armour or armor, I think everyone would understand what was being said. Besides, I prefer the English version of course being Australian with English roots.

Renodox

Yeah, I know it's not confusing altogether, but I've seen enough games where you have the mixing so great that the same words will occasionally have both spellings.  This works out okay if you have characters with a different accent but being American I've heard enough people complaining about these things.  As I said, I think the British-style is better for this kind of game anyway (the only ones where I think it doesn't really fit is if you have a game based in America i.e. Al Emmo) but if you're required to use one form, then it's good to keep vigilant.

Balinaeri

"Constant vigilance!" -Alastor "Mad Eye" Moody
I have come here to chew bubblegum and to play Mage's Initiation. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Nidoking

In an interesting twist, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is one of the projects where I've seen the British/American dichotomy actually become an aspect - the author's notes used to have a pretty extensive list of the changes being made as the story was cleaned up into British English. Then again, the Scholastic publication of the novels in the U.S. made a few changes the other way.

Adventurer_007

I can only imagine the havoc spell checkers have.

If you are in a British English speaking country and spell check the grammar and spelling of course its colour.  And even worse if you are a technical person needing to rely on the spell check to improve the grammar it then just works against you.

What a world.  Perhaps technology only makes us stupid faster.

Adventurer 007
-it gets even better as my MAC speaks American english and tries to auto correct for me :(  "color"