Forum signup is frustrating

Previous topic - Next topic

Jito463

Ok, what is with these inane questions?  Fifth letter of the Roman alphabet?  Spell 'star' backwards?  And even worse, now I find I have answer them each time I want to post on the forum?  Come on!  That's excessive by any definition of the word.  I have a feeling I won't be posting here very much.

Anaxphone

While aggravating, the questions do not change, and will go away after five posts on an account.

navynuke04

Its a minor frustration to prevent spam bots from overtaking the forums (which is a major frustration).

As Anaxphone said, the spam prevention question will disappear after you've posted five times.

Jito463

Okay, frustrating but understandable.  However, the questions you used...

I had to go on Google and search what the fifth letter of the Roman alphabet was.  I didn't have a clue (and I'm quite sure I'm not alone).  You could at least consider using questions people might actually know the answer to.

Anaxphone

English uses the roman alphabet...

Jito463

As I obviously discovered (since I'm now posting here).  However, I did not realize that at the time.  I doubt I'm alone in that regard.

Anaxphone

Fair enough.  I imagine it's somewhat obscure trivia upon reflection.  Sorry.

On the other hand, if you reply to this and then post one more time, you'll be through with the silly verifications!

Intendant S

It took me a couple minutes to realize what the answer was to that question, too.  I didn't have to Google it, but it was kind of confusing at first.
"Then you fear yourself. I don't want your fear; I want your love. If you can't love me, who can?"

Jito463

Anyway, sorry if I came across as a bit testy in my initial post.  The Roman alphabet thing threw me at first, then to see those same questions again when I was trying to post this thread just pushed me over the edge a bit.

On an unrelated note, what do we have to do to get listed as a backer?  Is it automatically applied when they detect the same e-mail address was used, or do we need to contact an admin?

Anaxphone

Fastest way to get it applied is to PM navynuke04

Balinaeri

Yeah, I had problems with the whole "Roman alphabet" thing too. This was what went through my mind: "alpha, beta, gamma, delta...now is the next epsilon...I can't remember...oh, crap, that's Greek anyway...what the heck is the Roman alphabet?"
I have come here to chew bubblegum and to play Mage's Initiation. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

navynuke04

I changed the question from Roman alphabet to English alphabet. Hopefully that will be less confusing to people.

Intendant S

Quote from: Balinaeri on March 28, 2013, 06:52:10 AM
Yeah, I had problems with the whole "Roman alphabet" thing too. This was what went through my mind: "alpha, beta, gamma, delta...now is the next epsilon...I can't remember...oh, crap, that's Greek anyway...what the heck is the Roman alphabet?"

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who was thinking Greek at first, too.
"Then you fear yourself. I don't want your fear; I want your love. If you can't love me, who can?"

Jito463

Quote from: navynuke04 on March 28, 2013, 07:46:24 AM
I changed the question from Roman alphabet to English alphabet. Hopefully that will be less confusing to people.

Yeah, I think that will probably be less confusing, thank you.  On a related note, you may want to reword the first question.

"What is the color of a snow?"

Might want to remove the 'a', as it sounds more than a little strange.

navynuke04

I've reworded the question to "What color is freshly fallen snow?" to avoid the issues mentioned above.  :laugh:

On the plus side, you now have five posts, which means you won't have to deal with it anymore!

Jito463

Just a heads up, but there doesn't seem to be any verification required when using Quick Reply.  Not a bad thing, in my opinion, but thought you should know.

Oh, and thank you for being so quick to setup my backer status.  Appreciate it.

Anaxphone

Quote from: Intendant S on March 28, 2013, 10:16:31 AMGlad to know that I'm not the only one who was thinking Greek at first, too.
Oddly enough, I didn't.  You would think otherwise from my handle. :hehe:

At any rate, thanks, navynuke04, for making the security questions less inaccessible for people.

Nidoking

I thought they were pretty easy questions myself. CAPTCHAs aren't intended to be difficult - in fact, I've seen some that just tell you to "type the word 'whatever'" and that's it. It's just to prevent automated systems from being able to sign up and post by being just complex enough that the bot won't fill them out correctly. Generally, if you have to think about a CAPTCHA, you're barking up the wrong tree.