Introduce yourself

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerXY

I was thinking we could all introduce ourselves here, bet there are both "familiar" and "new" faces here :)

My name is Roger, from Sweden and I was born 1982. Got a Commodore 64 as a christmas gift 1989 and thus my interest for computer/video games was born. One year later I sold the C64 and got a Nintendo NES instead, which was, and still is, my favorite video game platform.

My love for adventure games was born a few years later, in the middle of the 90s, when I played the 2nd "Leisure suit Larry"-game on my friends Amiga. I remember I found it fantastic that you could write what you wanted to happen and the game _responded_! A little later we found "The Secret of Monkey Island" and I was sold on the point-n-click adventure games as well. The humour, the story, the characters and the puzzles really spoke to me.

So from that day until the end of the 90s I played most adventure games from Lucasarts and Sierra, as well as many others (Simon the Sorcerer, Discworld etc.). I never liked the transcision from 2D to 3D for games in general and specially not for Adventure games. It felt like that used 3D "because they could" rather than because it would make the game good. Using the keypad instead of the mouse to navigate together with the horrible 3D graphics in many early games, kinda ruined the Adventure game genre for me in the end of the 90s. The last game I bought back then was "Grim Fandango".

The new millenium game and my beloved Adventure games were nowhere to be found. Sierra was gone and Lucasarts only released Star Wars-games :(
But in 2004 or 2005 the name "Tierra" catched my eyes (dunno where I saw it exactly) and a stunningly beautiful 2D remake of "King's Quest 1" was found. What? How? When? Who? My long lost love for adventure game was suddenly there again. I played thru the remakes, I replayed the oldies and I discovered oldies I had never played before. Bought "Al Emmo" in 2006 or 2007 and registered at this forum. I have been checking in here from time to time but unfortunately it's been pretty inactive. Hopefully we will change that now :)

For many years I've been waiting for "Mage's Initiation" and ever since I played the Sierra remakes I've wanted to say "Shut up and take my money" to the Himalaya people but it's never been possible. Not until the Kickstarter. So of course I became a backer and here I am again.

Tim Schafer might be the one who kickstarted the Adventure game genre, but for me personally, it was thanks to you guys at Himalaya Studios that my interest was reborn and it was nice to finally be able to give you a proper "Thank you" with the Kickstarter.
Brimhall of Fame

Intendant S

All right.  I'll bite.  I already introduced myself in the backers section, but I'll talk briefly about myself here, too.  My name is Serena (yes, THAT Serena) and I'm from California.  I cut my teeth, so to speak, on adventure gaming through Infocom and their text adventures on my old Atari ST in the 80s.  I loved Zork and its ilk and they really helped my reading comprehension for such a young person (I was probably in elementary school when I shoved my first floppy in).  I very soon graduated to early Sierra and Lucasarts games, starting with King's Quest.  Space Quest soon followed suit and was the very first game that I bought with my own allowance money.  I even got "copies" of Leisure Suit Larry from a friend of my father's (along with a crapton of other adventures, both text and graphic).

I don't recall exactly how I stumbled upon it, but I eventually discovered Tierra and their King's Quest 1 & 2 remakes.  I really enjoyed the first one, but seeing such an expanded story in the second blew me away.  I fell in love with it right then and there.

2012 and 2013 are great years for adventure gaming fans like us.  This year we'll be seeing lots of beloved franchises return either as remakes, sequels, or spiritual successors.  Not to mention a bunch of other smaller indie games.  I'm glad to be a part of the AGRM and proud to be a "hero", bringing them back to a new generation.
"Then you fear yourself. I don't want your fear; I want your love. If you can't love me, who can?"

mitsymckenzie777

Hey for those of whom from AGDI who don't regular at Infamous Quests it's me seraphimdreamer777 from AGDI. I've mainly been a regular at a site known as Exploding Rabbit lately but I missed my friends from AGDI. I also don't know how often I'll be here cause I'm kind of busy over a ER but I hope to try to keep in touch and maybe get to chat with some new people as well as old friends. Glad to be back among y'all. TTYL.  ;)

arkhaan of fire

I am probably the oldest gamer here I started playing games(other than Atari) in highschool and that was 1989 when I graduated! loved Ultima V and KQ3 so much I became a regular PC gamer in my twenties and played numorous games in the 90s.  I haven't stopped and don't ever plan to for anyone's sake!  Played Quest for Glory Anthology when it came out and downloaded all of AGD's KQ games as well as QfG2 awesome VGA remakes! Got Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine haven't played it yet as I have been busy but plan to soon.  I am looking foreward to Mage's Initiation and became a backer(Elementalist)  just got a notice yesterday of this forum.  I have been a backer for some time figured this was the best place to begin posting. :)
Lost soul Bent on Revenge.

Anaxphone

I'd be shocked if you were the oldest gamer here, actually.  Still, welcome aboard!

GameDevChris

We had one beta tester for Al Emmo who was 83. :)

arkhaan of fire

Quote from: GameDevChris on June 29, 2013, 10:25:15 AM
We had one beta tester for Al Emmo who was 83. :)

I'm roughly half that age, so I guess I'm a young pup! :hehe:
Lost soul Bent on Revenge.