Himalaya Possibly Teaming with Jim Walls for Police Quest-Style Adventure Game?

Previous topic - Next topic

Nipples

Would a potential new game like this be started before or after the final version Mage's is released? And what about Mage's sequels? Would you guys work on more than one game at a time?

Here is what Britney Brimhall said on Kickstarter:

QuoteThanks guys for donating and pushing us past the $40,000 mark. SO EXCITING! I appreciate you pushing us into the next tier, BigD!
And YES—this is my DREAM, to work with Jim Walls on a Police Quest type adventure game, and I think it would be the perfect collaboration. It feels as if all my experiences in life, and my team's experiences, have sort of led up to this exact point, making us the perfect fit to work with Jim on this game. We've been discussing this, and he mentioned us in his last interview.
It's funny, because I want to finish up "Mage's", because I'm so excited to get started on a Police adventure game. Yet at the same time, am so excited about "Mage's", because it's turning out so well, and is the type of game I've been wanting to play for Ages (being a huge fan of Quest for Glory style games)! Two amazing games. I have to remind myself to take it step for step, but it feels like Christmas being able to work on two such fulfilling projects.
As we finish "Mage's", and I continue patrolling, I am certainly getting more and more ideas for an upcoming Police Adventure:) Every day on the street is really like a lifetime lived. A single day would be enough fodder for a grand adventure game!

RogerXY

Britney (and Himalaya Studios) together with Jim Walls making a new cop adventure game is a match made in heaven :)
Brimhall of Fame

Nipples

Anyone hear anything new about this? Is Britney Brimhall still involved in game design? I remember during the KS campaign she said she'd try to do a video talking about AGDI/Himalaya's history, but then she announced she had gotten sick and was busy with her new job. I'd still be interested in seeing the video and also hearing from her about her plans for a possible police adventure game.

GameDevChris

We'd been talking with with Jim and Robert about the Kickstarter and, as far as I knew, they were still interested in working with us, as Robert mentioned he'd be in contact. So the launch of the Precinct Kickstarter today was a bit of a surprise! lol

I can only speculate as to why they took the direction they did, but given our current focus on making Mage's Initiation as good as it can be, perhaps they surmised that it's in their best interests to create Precinct with developers who could give the project their undivided attention.

Still, we wish Jim and the crew the best of luck with the game!

Nipples

While I am disappointed that Jim Walls won't be teaming up at this time with Himalaya (a developer that always does excellent work and knows adventure games as good as anyone), I remain excited about Mage's Initiation and future Himalaya projects, and I am interested to learn more about Precinct and hope it turns out great.

MusicallyInspired

Seeing as Precinct will be using the latest 3D graphics it kind of makes more sense for them to go independent anyway. Too bad we won't be working with them, but I'm psyched that Jim is doing a new game again! It doesn't really matter how. I like the 3D approach.

GameDevChris

Himalaya's development of the game could have gone either way, 2D or 3D, depending on what Jim wanted. Robert was going to get back to us once he had an idea of the size and scope of the project so that we could prepare a budget and provide a quote. The real shame is that Britney's experience as a real-life cop would have given an authentic, modern edge to the game, which I think would have really helped to further incentivize backers. It would have been a very good strategic pairing.

MusicallyInspired

Nipples

I still hope that one day Britney has the opportunity to work on a game that would allow her to draw from her police work experience.

navynuke04

Look who I saw earlier! I can vouch for her real world police experience! :)