Can you believe this?

Previous topic - Next topic

haradan

I just found this list of the so-called 50 best games ever. I understand lots of people voted this list by internet, voting for their favourite 3 games. From a list of over 500 names, they took the 50 most voted, which were:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Metal Gear Solid
4. Super Mario Bros. 3
5. The Secret of Monkey Island
6. Super Mario 64
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Super Mario World
9. Resident Evil 4
10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past

11. Street Fighter 2
12. Half Life
13. Final Fantasy X
14. Tetris
15. Half Life 2
16. Starcraft
17. Metal Gear Solid 3
18. Final Fantasy VIII
19. Doom
20. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

21. Sonic The Hedgehog
22. The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker
23. The Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
24. Counter Strike
25. Smash Bros. Melee
26. Super Metroid
27. Chrono Trigger
28. Super Mario Kart
29. Final Fantasy IX
30. Pro Evolution Soccer

31. God of War
32. Castlevania Symphony Of The Night
33. Shenmue
34. Grand Theft Auto: Vice city
35. Halo 2
36. La abadía del crimen
37. Mario Kart DS
38. Resident Evil
39. The Legend of Zelda
40. Civilization

41. Civilization II
42. Age Of Empires II
43. Day of the Tentacle
44. Tales of Symphonia
45. Metal Gear Solid 2
46. Baldur's Gate 2
47. Halo
48. Pro Evolution Soccer 5
49. World of Warcraft
50. Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix

Top sagas

1. Saga Zelda
2. Saga Final Fantasy
3. Saga Mario
4. Saga Metal Gear
5. Saga Monkey Island
6. Saga Half Life
7. Saga Resident Evil
8. Saga Street Fighter
9. Saga Grand Theft Auto
10. Saga Metroid

Can you believe it? Adventure games are almost absent, and the only Sierra games are Half Life 1 and 2. I suppose this reflects the new (younger) gamers' taste (or lack of it, anyway). What do you think?

coroloro

I'm really not surprised.

After all, my first serious game addiction ever- when I was a little boy- was The Legend of Zelda. You really had to have a LOT of money to not only have a computer, but ALSO buy a Sierra game (I remember them costing up to $70!!!! I think KQ6 cost that much, brand new direct from Sierra). Nintendo was easier to handle. I didn't get exposed to a Sierra game until at my friend's house- his Dad worked for HP, so he had a computer as part of his job, and his family had Kings Quest 4 on it as their only game. That's how I got addicted. I LOVED it. But they were NOT easy to find locally here in South Carolina, nor cheap. I couldn't get one for us until we got our first computer- and even then, you had to pay a lot of money (as a kid, whose parents didn't play or even know HOW to turn on the computer, it took a lot of effort) to keep your computer upgraded enough to play.

I remember playing Kings Quest 6 on my older computer- no sound card or anything, maybe it was still an IBM 286. I remember the opening 3D scene took forever to load, would crash in the middle, and would go sloooooow mooootion. It was amazing when we finally upgraded to a computer with a 16 bit sound card!!! I could hear the music, people could talk- it was great! I think that was when Windows 95 came out, so 1995 and I was 15 years old or so.

Anyway, the reason those saga's are big- and the older ones are more titles like Zelda and Mario- are the availability! It was relatively easy to get ahold of Zelda, Mario, etc during the earlier days- and MUCH harder to get access to equipement to play Sierra adventure games. Now that it is easier, adventure games have slid to the side somewhat.

A lot of people never got proper exposure to adventure games- if they did I think they might enjoy them, especially the female audience to whom "bash, crash, slash" does not always appeal. My wife won't fit that though- she LOVES Diablo and "smash die die die". :P

Hope my opinion helped!

-Patrick

MusicallyInspired

Hey, Zelda got first! That's not so bad! At least Monkey Island was fifth. And not just one of the later not-so-good versions, it was the first game.

haradan

OK, I can understand this thing about availability, and I agree that there are SOME good games in the list. What I'm shocked about is the absolute lack of Sierra games. Not a single Sierra adventure game.

Myself, I also had a NES back in those days, and I enjoyed Super Mario Bros 3 a lot at that time. But when I compare it with more sophisticated games like the Sierra golden years games, I can't even begin to think I would vote Super Mario 3 over Gabriel Knight, King's Quest 6 or Quest for Glory I-IV.

Is the adventure game community really that small that there isn't a single Sierra game not in the top 10, but in the top 50? Is that really too much to ask?  :( Or perhaps...

Do you people AGREE with this list? I know I worship adventure games over other genres, but maybe being an adventure game fan doesn't mean you don't like other genres even more.

Me, I specially disagree in so many Mario Bros games at the top, and no adventure games other than Lucasart (and even in that case...Maniac Mansion should be in this list).

That's my opinion, but perhaps I'm getting old, refusing the pass of time...
I should stick to Pong, Digger, or just plain Pacman for old times' sake.
 :confused:

MusicallyInspired

Ahhh Digger. That takes me back.

I understand what you're saying, though. When I was growing up we had a Tandy 1000 computer instead of a video game console. We never got any game consoles until the late 90s. So the games I grew up on were pacman, digger, Space Quest, King's Quest, Camelot, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, etc etc. But even if we are a bunch of strange old timer PC game players, it's still rediculous that there's that many Mario games on the list. I'm sure even hardcore arcade/video gamers don't think of all those games worthy of the top 10 list, compared to other "greats".

aspid

Sierra... LucasArts... I would rather opt for Legend games.

But it I was very surprised to find "36. La abadía del crimen" in the list, not to find Diablo, Warcraft II, X-com 1&2; Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic series

Sartori

Titles in the Zelda and Mario series deserve to dominate it. Though there are games missing and games in place I do not feel appropriate, everyone's going to disagree. ;-)
//Sartori