Pronunciation of Al's name...

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicallyInspired

I asked this at QuestStudios' forums but (understandably) never got an answer so I thought I'd get it from the horse's mouth and ask here. (not that you are a horse, Britney, or anyone else for that matter lol)

I noticed that there's a bit of a conflict in how Al's name is pronounced (specifically accents). Al seems to always refer to himself as "Al Emmo" but everybody else in the game says "Al Emmo". I was wondering what the proper pronunciation is.

Erpy

Quote(not that you are a horse, Britney, or anyone else for that matter lol)

She does have a ponytail most of the time. (sorry, that one was an oldie)

QuoteI noticed that there's a bit of a conflict in how Al's name is pronounced (specifically accents). Al seems to always refer to himself as "Al Emmo" but everybody else in the game says "Al Emmo". I was wondering what the proper pronunciation is.

Uh...I see no written difference between those two. We on the team mostly use the variation that sounds like "Alamo".

Tom Lewandowski

I noticed that, too.  In the game, Al's emphasis is on the "mo" part of Emmo.  Others emphasize the "Em" part of Emmo.   He also states his name in the same manner as Larry Laffer does, by repeating his first name.  ("I'm Larry ... Larry Laffer.")   But, I didn't think that was an issue.  It's just like some southerners and African-Americans pronounce "POLICE" with the emphasis on "PO", instead of "LICE".  It's kind of a non-issue, as I see it.  In fact, I think it adds a little charm -- a natural, real-world flavor.  I also get any number of variations in how people pronounce my last name.  :hehe:

MusicallyInspired

QuoteI noticed that, too.  In the game, Al's emphasis is on the "mo" part of Emmo.
Right that's what I meant. I copied and pasted my message from the QS forums so I forgot to re-add the bold code on the letters. It's fixed now. But that's what I meant, Tom. Thanks.

Dianne Lewandowski

You know, I wondered, too, about the pronunciation.  I placed the emphasis on the EM until one day I had a lightbulb moment and realized it was a play on words for the region it takes place (southwest)  The Alamo.

Now, I have no idea whatsoever whether or not this is correct, but it seemed to fit.  ;)

GameDevBrit

You know, I'd take it as a compliment, MI--I used to want to be a horse or a dog when I was about four!  I was sad and cried for days when I found out that it was impossible to surgically alter a human into a fuzzy pet.

But everyone is correct--the actual pronunciation should be similar to "Al Emmo".  Other characters in the game who have little respect for Al don't always know the correct pronunciation.

And Tom and Dianne, I am not even sure if I know how to pronounce your name correctly.  I've been pronouncing it like the German's would.  I'm assuming it's Polish though?  Can you phonetically break it down for me?

MusicallyInspired

Interesting. I never noticed the Alamo word play either! Even when I heard Al say it! lol

Regarding Tom and Dianne's last name. That's one I've always wondered about, too. I've always pronounced it: Loo-win-dow-ski. With dow sounding as in house.

Tom Lewandowski

Really?  As soon as I heard Al say his name, the 'Alamo' play-on-words immediately clicked.  

Lewandowski =
Lee-won-'dow-ski  (American pronunciation, which is how we say it - accent on third syllable)  The 'won' is pronounced like you would use in "magic wand".  "dow" as in "wow".

Lev-on-dos-ski  (Polish pronunciation - no accent on any syllable)
(Lev, as in LEVitate.)

The "Loo" pronuciation is often assoiciated with "Lew", which is why almost every male in our family has had the nickname "Louie" at some point in our lives.  Even my father, and his father, bore the nickname, "Lou", in the Army.

MusicallyInspired

Interesting. Thanks for that.

GameDevBrit

Wow, thanks for that, Tom!! I've always pronounced it, "Lev-N-'dowv-ski".  Time to start practicing the new pronunciation...

Dianne Lewandowski

Well, call me "interferring" but I think Tom enunciated that incorrectly and that Britney is closer:  In Poland it would be:  Levindofskee   They don't have w's, only v's, and when you soften the second "v" it sounds like an f.

SirWulf2

I won't even ask how you guys would butcher my last name.

Schierschmidt

GameDevBrit

Awesome, Dianne--I first saw your last name while living abroad in Europe, hence the reason I probably first started pronouncing it that way :)

And Joe, now you've got me interested--is your last name "Sheer-Shmit?"

SirWulf2

Not too bad.  Got the last part.  'Shire-Shmit'  And one of the reasons I like to keep my first name short, hehe.  I'll stick with Joe instead of Joseph.

MusicallyInspired

Lol. Yes having another "s" sound in your name would make it pretty difficult!

navynuke04

I have people mispronouce my name as well. It's Sean. Here's a hint... it's not pronounced Seen or Shane.

Stijn's name is also pretty difficult to pronounce.

GameDevBrit

Oh wow, I wouldn't have guessed that SirWulf, although I like how it's pronounced--it makes sense now when looking at it after seeing the actual pronunciation.

Sean, interestingly enough, the other day on the news, a broadcaster came on with the exact same spelling as your name, and he pronounced it "Seen".  It really disturbed me!  I couldn't accept it...I wanted it to be "Shawn".

And yea, Stijn is a doozy...for years, I thought it was "Sti-gin".  Stijn was so kind as we continually butchered his name.  Even when he explained it, I still butchered it for a while...I was making it much more difficult than it had to be.  It's sort of like, "Stein"...as in a beer Stein :)

Haha, and yes, MI, an extra "s" would possibly make it just a little too much to handle...

Erpy

QuoteAnd yea, Stijn is a doozy...for years, I thought it was "Sti-gin".  Stijn was so kind as we continually butchered his name.  Even when he explained it, I still butchered it for a while...I was making it much more difficult than it had to be.  It's sort of like, "Stein"...as in a beer Stein:)

That explains the difficulty in house-training you guys into using my real name instead of my internet name at a time everybody else was already adressed by his or her birth name. Getting to that phase was a victory on its own.

And yeah, the closest thing native english speakers get to my name is the word Stein. (it's not QUITE the same) A native english speaker trying any harder to speak typically dutch vowels results in said speaker pulling some funny faces, as I've had the pleasure of learning earlier this year.

Dianne Lewandowski

In my early 20s I dated a fellow who came from the Netherlands.  Everyone called him Dutch.  His real first name was a mouthful (which I no longer even remember).  Heck, I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

SirWulf2

Just goes to show.  A lot of interesting names out there.  Even more difficult when considering that your location also changes how you name is pronounced.

For example, my name is the butchered term for 'Scissor-smith' in German.  The name was slightly changed when my ancestors moved into America.  And for awhile, they actually did go by 'Sheer-Shmidt'.  It wasn't until they relocated up north to the border of Michigan and Canada that the name officially became what it is today.  'Shire-Shmidt'

So, right there is three different ways that I know of for my name alone.  I know many can claim the same thing.  Quite interesting when you think about it.

MusicallyInspired

Mine's nothing special, but contrary to how you say my last name (which is German) here in Canada (which is simply "Bloom"), in Germany it's pronounced "Bloom-a". I really couldn't tell you what the difference is, though. I don't even know what it means.

Leisure Suit Harry

Well, Brandon, Blume means flower while bloom rather goes into the direction of blossom (German: Blüte). But the difference is indeed minimal.

I guess sometimes it would be good fun to translate names with german origin into english... (not in your case of course)

On the other hand there is a name of a small town in Austria which sounds enlish (but is not) and should definitely not be translated into German. It's called Fu**ing! No joke, but certainly a good choice as English speaking tourists travel there just in order to have one's photo taken besides the sign that shows the beginning of that town.

cheers - Harry

GameDevBrit

That is SO FUNNY, Harry.  It's a shame I never found that town while I was on my own European Adventures.  I wouldn't mind one of those photos.  Perpahs I can find a photo on google and perform a nice Photoshop job on it, superimposing my head on some other tourist's body :D

doggans

Quote from: "GameDevBrit"Perpahs I can find a photo on google and perform a nice Photoshop job on it, superimposing my head on some other tourist's body :D

That's the best way to travel! Do some Photoshop work, look up some tour site info on Wikipedia...you can take a whole vacation from the comfort of your home computer!  :P
"Old lamps for new! Old lamps for new!"

lcolson

"Alamo" as in the Alamo

Erpy

4 words, Brit. I....DON'T...THINK...SO.

If you're really that anxious to have more European adventures, get back here on the double.

Leisure Suit Harry

I see, guys, I managed to focus your attention on that small town which sounds a lot dirtier than it is.

Check out www.fucking.at and learn that a second sign (right under the town-sign) makes the combination of signs a perfect so-called Schildbürgerstreich (a folly; directly translated a prank of signs)

(I guarantee that this is no link to any filthy site!).

P.S.: A lot of names auf Austrian resp German towns end with -ing. So perhaps there are some other villages that can compete with the F-town.

Leisure Suit Harry

Wow, Brit, you (and obviously some of your namekinds) react really fast:

Brits steal carloads of F**king Austrian roadsigns.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/15/austrian_signs/

Leisure Suit Harry

Sorry, the word was namesake (not namekind)

MusicallyInspired

Funnily enough, I've heard of that town. My favourite artist Mike Oldfield got a couple pictures of him with his band next to the sign when they were on tour. That was way back in the 80s.

GameDevBrit

I swear, it wasn't me! I did not take that sign! (although I maybe wanted to :)

navynuke04

Quote from: "GameDevBrit"This sign kind of reminds me a bit of the time that two AGDI moderators were in the car, as we were driving from California to Arizona.  We noticed the city of "Banning".  It was definitely mandatory to get a picture of that city sign as well :)

GameDevChris

Yeah, too bad everyone started behaving themselves and you haven't had a chance to use it yet!  :D

The Avatar

Wow.. german names are quite the topic today..

How about you guys have a try with mine:

Beiswanger

When my parents lived in Germany, they spent some time collecting information on the origin.. interesting to me, being my name and all.

Leisure Suit Harry

Well, Beiswanger is an easy one:
beissen = to bite
wange = cheek

A "Beiswanger" would then be someone who has taken a bite of someone's cheek.

Ask your Granny, maybe she remembers that incident...  :-)

Harry

"Don't mess with it!"