Illegal exception

Previous topic - Next topic

blacklab1936

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00408419 ; program pointer is -42, ACI version 2.72.920, gtags (513,65)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

in Global script (line 250)

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.
OK  
Can  CJ help me with this problem? I can't  get the game (AL Emmo) to start.  Thanks!

CJ

That looks like an error playing the intro movie. Have you tried updating your DirectX to the latest version?

If that doesn't help, also see if there are any updates available for your graphics card drivers.

blacklab1936

Hi CJ,
I have just now done as you requested. (Downloaded Direct x & updated NIVIDA display driver. Unfortunately I am still receiving the same message whilst I attempt to launch AL EMMO. Any other ideas. I have a rather fast machine. If you wish I can give you the information concerning my computer. Thanks for your help in regard to this problem.
 Bill/blacklab1936

navynuke04

Your monitor/video driver may be having a problem running the game at 640x400. You might try going into the setting menu and changing some of the graphics settings before running the game. I'd try checking the "Force alternate letterbox resolution" and try running the game.

blacklab1936

Hello,
I have tried your suggestion(s). However, they did not work. What I have done is un-installed the game from it's present partitioned drive (G) and re-installed the game on my main partitioned drive (C). I have a rather large hard drive, which I have partitioned into (3) partitions. The hard drive is 300 GB hard drive. The game at the present time is working. I am giving you this information so that if some else has this problem you may if you so wish advise them to try what I did to get the game to work. Thanking you for your help with my problem..Sincerely Bill/blacklab1936

navynuke04

Good information. Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure that I ever tried installing it to anything other than my C drive...

AGS itself shouldn't care what drive it's on though. If you want to play it from your G drive, you might try copying the game folder there, now that it's installed. All files required to run the game are in that directory, so you shouldn't need to do anything other than move the directory. I'm kind of curious if that will work or if the errors will return...

blacklab1936

OK I will try that. However, since the game is working and I am just starting to play it I will wait until I have completed the game (I'm sure you can understand why I don't wish to 'fool' around with the directory now that I have the game operating). But, I will do as you suggested upon the completion of the game. At that point I will try your suggestion. At any rate I will get back to you to let you know whether your suggestion works. Once again "thanks" for your assistance in trying to resolve this problem. Sincerely, Bill/blacklab1936.

GameDevChris

Moving the directories manually like that may present other problems. It would probably break all the shortcuts in the start menu and the game then might not uninstall properly (though I haven't personally verified this).  It'd be best to leave the files in the same directory that you installed them to.

However, perhaps the information you've provided in your work-around might be useful for Chris Jones in tracking down the cause of the crash. Thanks for posting the details.

navynuke04

Yeah... if you move directories, your existing shortcuts won't work. You should still be able to run the game manually though by going into the directory and double clicking the executable.

Hope you enjoy the game!

GameDevChris

You could install the game, copy and paste (i.e. not cut & paste) the files to a second directory, and then uninstall the first installation in order to ensure that all of the start menu tabs and registry settings get  removed.

Then, if you later wish to remove the game from your hard drive, you'd have to manually delete all the files from the new directory you created.