What's the most played Element?

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcane_Feline

I know it's probably early, but I'm curious. What is the most played Element as of this date?

I've whipped up a small poll here: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5c61025ae4b000f8f0a04810

MusicallyInspired

That jives with my experience of watching YouTubers and Twitch streamers. Everyone seems to give the most logical answers for the element quiz at the beginning and that always ends up being Earth usually.

MusicallyInspired

Except that the game is expressly written so that the 4 elements directly correspond to certain character traits and tendencies.

MusicallyInspired

It's interesting, actually. When I first played the game I made sure to play as a Fire Mage because I sort of considered it the "canon" storyline, seeing as much of the plot revolves around the fire element and fire mage characters. And D'arc as a fire mage is the default choice for the game logo/box cover.

I'm definitely not complaining that people are choosing whichever elements they're choosing. I'm just intrigued by the results! :)

Balinaeri

I went through the startup questions twice. Once Earth selected me, and the other time was, I think, Water. But I really wanted to play Fire. Curious how I would have had to answer to get that Element. Thankfully you're allowed to select your Element yourself after the questions.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and to play Mage's Initiation. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Gronagor

[spoiler]Don't you guys think that this fire master may have influenced how fire mages are seen or how they act at this tower? Obviously then he'd also be an influence on how they are chosen.[/spoiler]
Just thinking.

Arcane_Feline

Quote from: The Wizard of Orchards on February 11, 2019, 02:36:25 AM
We have data to guess that easily, as Steam does track that:
Current % of players who completed the quest: Earth 9.3 Water 3.7 Fire 3.0 Air 2.1
and full Bonus points: Earth 1.7 Water 1.4 Air 1.0 Fire 0.9

thus I would place a bet that Earth is the most played Element ::)- or is it just the easiest ?
Or both  :satisfied:...

That's surprising to me. But now that I think about it, it tracks. Most adventure/quest players are probably rather logical and reserved, so Earth answers would be appropriate. Also, I've heard somewhere that most players prefer roleplaying as heroes, so Water answers would be appropriate.

My answers have suggested that I'm Earth, too. But I still went with Air, because it's my favorite element.

Edit: grammar.

Gronagor

Heh. Well...
[spoiler]Then you can't blame 'the-fire-villian-who-should-not-be-named', since he was basically guided by his element. The same can then be said of the priestess.

Didn't the Priestess say something about delving into the dark forbidden areas of water magic? [/spoiler]

Gronagor

I have an idea Daniel Stacey wrote these things with specific intentions. It sounds like he's flushed out an entire overarching storyline, and I think the fire mages being seen as aggresive, not quite north pointing moral campus characters will probably play a big role in the future. And... I could be wrong and they're all a-holes. Heh.

Gronagor

Must say I'm struggling with what you're saying. Do you need Jedi and Sith to balance the force?
Do you really need mages for the elements to 'manage' the world?

Don't you think it is rather human nature to manipulate the forces of nature to their advantage, and the struggle is once again between humans to maintain the balance of power... In the human 'plane of existence'. Just like we see in the attempt to overthrow the lord, who were abusing his power. That's also why the senior mages kept on warning D'arc about his ambitions. Urgh... Daniel must have gone crazy contemplating all these things.

So... I'm just saying the Force's nature can't be changed. It is what it is. The dark and the light was always there, and will always be there.... In a galaxy far far away.

Gronagor

I have a strong suspicion that 'giftless' are actually NOT 'not chosen' by the elements. I think it is a lie maintained by the mage castes to keep power away from the obvious majority.

The influence of the fifth element can be seen throughout town, the personalities of the townspeople, and even many of the tasks given to you by them.

Gronagor

Heh. Don't disagree.
This means Anakin/Vader did 'balance out' the force... twice. Which means he IS the hero of both the first 3 movies, and the prequels. Luke, as Yoda predicted: failed. And people don't get SW8's Luke... He never was great, and he failed again in SW8's flashbacks.  Even the Star Destroyer really was Obi Wan Kenobi from beyond the grave that told him what to do.

So... D'arc should probably have joined the 'main villian'. (Heh. Just speaking nonsense.)

Arcane_Feline

Quote from: Gronagor on February 13, 2019, 12:53:02 AM
I have a strong suspicion that 'giftless' are actually NOT 'not chosen' by the elements. I think it is a lie maintained by the mage castes to keep power away from the obvious majority.

That would be a curious perspective, if Mages had any political power in this game. Which they don't, it seems. At least, not overtly. They just keep to themselves. The only two areas of life where they have any influence, it seems, is technological progress and training of other mages.

Of course, we will have to wait and see. Maybe only Iginor Tower is so neutral. Maybe mages in Dominatra are all about power and political games.

Arcane_Feline

Quote from: The Wizard of Orchards on February 12, 2019, 03:56:30 AM
As mentioned, I think the Elements are morally neutral...

I tend to agree. I believe the Elements influence a mage's character in subtle ways, but it's the mage who makes moral choices. For example, Fire encourages boldness, aggression and decisiveness, but it's the mage who chooses whether to turn these traits towards combating evil and trailblazing (both literal and figurative) or towards inflicting suffering and dominating the weak.

I think each Element has its merits and flaws. We tend to view Fire as "evil" only because, in modern times, we tend to forget that aggression and competitiveness can be used in constructive ways (and have been throughout the history). Even Water, which seems to be all about compassion and helping others, has flaws. For example, [spoiler]Shareen covering for Brashem despite him being a danger to others. Okay, maybe Brashem is not a bad guy; but one can easily imagine a situation where he could take advantage of her because she's not only in love with him, but is also an inherently soft and caring person due to her connection to Water. [/spoiler] 

Gronagor

Quote from: Arcane_Feline on February 14, 2019, 01:42:34 AM
That would be a curious perspective, if Mages had any political power in this game. Which they don't, it seems. At least, not overtly. They just keep to themselves. The only two areas of life where they have any influence, it seems, is technological progress and training of other mages.

Well, power is not necessarily about ruling people.

Darcplayer

I was air first time, but to be true I would be goat fish, or earth/water. I associate air not with absent mindless but magicians of this sort. Also in quest for glory:

Aziza: What is the element most appropriate to a magic shop owner? Answer: air ''Keapon''.

In the feminine: She was a queen of air and darkness. ''suppose shadow here''.  Aziza was the water mage. She was almost pure logic though.

Making water the hero's just means they are Astral, water/sea is a metaphor for the astral. Or get Cuthulu mythos and we have similar creatures we saw at the priestess place and the woods. Easily defeated, A bit fishy if you ask me. hahaha.

Sea can also mean space in some visionary fiction but that dose not apply here.