Looking for a subtle hint on Transparent Fluidity potion

Previous topic - Next topic

RenaissanceMan

Hey all, I'm really enjoying the game so far and would like just a subtle hint to point me in the right direction, NOT a spoiler, please.

I am gathering ingredients for the Transparent Fluidity potion and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the "drops of a most potent brew."  It seems obvious that it's referring to the "special" drink in the tavern, but the bartender won't sell it to me and the ruffian who's drinking it won't have anything to do with me.  I tried using my incomplete potion on the ruffian's drink and D'Arc said, "I could never do that without him noticing me."  So I'm thinking you have to somehow distract him long enough to steal some of his drink, or failing that, befriend or otherwise impress him enough to get him to get/share with me a drink, or failing THAT somehow fool the bartender into selling me the special.  I can't figure out how to do any of these.

Am I completely barking up the wrong tree?  Am I missing something?  Again, just a subtle hint, please.  I'm playing as an Earth Mage, if that matters, and I have thoroughly explored the forest and the Wastelands.

Thanks!